Bean + Lloyd LLP
Call Today For An Initial Consultation 510-433-1900
Se Habla Español

F2A to Remain Current for September 2013

The September 2013 Visa Bulletin, published today, shows that the family based 2nd preference category "F2A" (children under 21 and spouses of lawful permanent residents) will again be current for the month of September. 

Please see our blog entry on the implications of this, reprinted below for your convenience. While the following entry was written for the month of August, it is now also relevant to the month of September:

Beginning August 1, 2013 through at least August 31, 2013, all foreign nationals who are the spouse or child under 21 years old of a U.S. lawful permanent resident (family-based preference category "F2A") may immediately apply for lawful permanent residence.

What is the Family-Based Preference Category System?

The United States limits how many foreign nationals may legally immigrate to the United States per year. The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) sets rules and regulations regarding how many visas the U.S. Department of State (DOS) will allocate to each country and, within each country, to each category of immigrant. The categories of immigrants are as follows:

First Preference (F1): Unmarried Sons and Daughters of U.S. Citizens

Second Preference (F2): Spouses and Unmarried Sons and Daughters of a Permanent Resident

F2A: Permanent Residents' spouses and children under 21 years old

F2B; Permanent Residents' sons and daughters who are 21 years old or older

Third Preference (F3): Married Sons and Daughters of U.S. citizens

Fourth Preference (F4): Brothers and Sisters of Adult U.S. citizens

August 2013 Visa Bulletin

Every month, DOS issues a bulletin to update applicants on the availability of immigrant visa numbers. Since there are usually more applications than there are visa numbers per country and per category, the DOS visa bulletin shows applicants approximately how long they must wait before they can receive a visa number. In order to be eligible for a visa number-or, in other words, have a "current" priority date-a visa applicant must have submitted their visa petition before the cutoff date shown on the chart according to their country of origin and preference category. Those whose petitions were filed on or before the cutoff date are considered "current" and may apply for a visa.

The August 2013 chart for family-based immigrant visa numbers is below:


All Countries (except those listed)

China-Mainland born





Sept. 01, 2006

Sept. 01, 2006

Sept. 01, 2006

Sept. 01, 1993

Jan. 01, 2001








Dec. 1, 2005

Dec. 1, 2005

Dec. 1, 2005

Feb. 01, 1994

Dec. 22, 2002


Dec. 08, 2002

Dec. 08, 2002

Dec. 08, 2002

May 01, 1993

Dec. 01, 1992


June 22, 2001

June 22, 2001

June 22, 2001

Sept. 22, 1996

Jan. 08, 1990

According to the chart, all eligible applicants with petitions filed under the F2A category, permanent residents' spouses and children under 21 years old, may apply for a visa beginning August 1, 2013.

Furthermore, if you are the spouse of a lawful permanent resident, or a child under 21 years old of a permanent resident who does not yet have a visa petition filed, you should submit your visa petition as soon as possible during the month of August 2013 in order to be able to take advantage of the current priority date for F2A and apply for a visa immediately. We do not know yet whether the category will remain current after August 31, 2013, so it is crucial to apply as soon as possible.

Also, if you are the spouse or child under 21 of a permanent resident AND you are eligible for adjustment of status in the United States, meaning your last entry into the United States was a lawful entry or you had a visa petition on file for you on or before April 30, 2001 ("245(i)"), it is to your benefit to file your visa application as soon as possible during the month of August. Even if the F2A category is no longer current after August, by filing in August you will be eligible to receive work authorization while your application remains pending. This will allow you to work legally in the United States until your application for adjustment of status is adjudicated.

**This blog is written for the purpose of providing general information only, and is not legal advice. If you have specific questions about your case, we suggest you call our office to set up a consultation to speak to an attorney.

Follow us on twitter @beanlloydllp

1 Comment

i have a petition for my son under 21 years old last Aug 2,2013, he will turn 21 on May 13,2014. He is still in the Philippines, but he has a tourist visa til 2018. He is planning to visit me this coming Christmas 2013. Can u give me an advised what to do with his petition, can i file 1-485 when he comes here, can he work legally here while waiting for his petition to be approved?

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

How Can Our Attorneys Help?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Bean + Lloyd LLP
110 Eleventh Street
Oakland, CA 94607

Toll Free: 800-819-2180
Phone: 510-433-1900
Fax: 510-433-1901
Oakland Law Office Map