Achieving Citizenship Through Naturalization
For people who wish to become naturalized U.S. citizens, the associated rules and requirements are complex and can be confusing.
At Bean, Lloyd, Mukherji, & Taylor, LLP, our immigration attorneys routinely represent clients who wish to become naturalized U.S. citizens. We provide practical information, answers and strong legal advocacy to guide you through what can be a very intimidating process.
Overcoming Immigration Challenges
The first hurdle in the naturalization process is making sure that you meet all of the government’s eligibility requirements. To apply for naturalization, you must:
- Be aged 18 or older
- Hold the status of lawful permanent resident
- Have lived in the U.S. for five or more years (or three if you’re married to a U.S. citizen) as a lawful permanent resident,
- Comply with English language requirements and be able to read, write and speak basic English, subject to narrow exceptions
- Demonstrate an understanding of U.S. history and how the government works
- Be an individual of good moral character
Even if you meet these basic requirements, there are numerous issues that can affect your ability to move forward and become a U.S. citizen. Our lawyers have helped hundreds of people throughout Northern California achieve their citizenship goals.
Contact an Attorney who Understands Naturalization Requirements
We are able to identify potential roadblocks such as tax issues or past arrests or convictions and take steps to overcome these and other problems that can not only derail the naturalization process, but also result in your detainment and trigger removal proceedings.